How To Create A Successful Content Marketing Strategy
Creating content in this digital era might seem like an easy thing to do. Most people can create some kind of content and publish it through various channels and platforms in the blink of an eye. Content can come in any shape, form or size: articles, white papers, webinars, blogs, videos, infographics, podcasts, newsletters, eBooks and so forth. It will not only drive your social media marketing efforts but also your SEO.
But great content only has business value if it’s consumed, used and shared by your online visitors.
And let’s face it, they don’t really want to hear about your products or services – they want a solution to their problem.If you do it right from the start and have a clear direction, it will help create a cohesive brand voice and online presence.
Here are a few steps to get you started with a content marketing strategy:
- What do you plan to achieve through content marketing? State specific objectives, define your key performance indicators and metrics on how to measure your success.
- Define your audience and create personas of whom you will be targeting. What are their needs, wants, concerns, and frustrations?
- Where does your target audience hang out online today and what are they doing there? Listen to the ongoing conversations and learn what triggers engagement and sharing.
- Who are your contributors and stakeholders? Look within the company and in your existing network, but also define potential guest writers/producers.
- What types of content to you plan to create and how often can you commit to publishing? Will the content be informational, educational, conversational, long, short etc.
- Define keywords in order to create and publish keyword driven content to drive your SEO.
- Determine your publishing points, both branded online platforms (blog, newsletter, social networks etc.) and third party outposts.
Many companies, especially in the B2B space, might fear they are giving away too much free information or give their competitors an advantage. But look at it like you are educating your customers and prospects and that your information will help them to be better buyers and more loyal customers who come back to your website even when they are not buying from you. A successful content strategy will help establish your brand as a source of information and as an industry leader. It will also speak to your target market's needs and pains, and will provide them with insights and information that will help them solve problems and recognize you as a capable problem solver.